Friday, January 20, 2017

Eyes Wide Open

 I've talked about some of the challenges since we got here so I wanted to share some of the good stuff. The benefits far out weigh the challenges for us and that's why we're here!
 - We get to have fresh fruit smoothies every morning if we want. Fresh from the trees sometimes and certainly more fresh than we were able to get in Canada. Yumm!


 - Our food is not modified so we can pick the seeds out of a watermelon and grow our own if we so desire.

 - We don't have to stay indoors most of the year because the weather is frigid. We've never liked the cold, and I hate dressing up in a huge parka trying to walk around like the stay puffed marshmallow man.

 - Warm wind, warm rain, warm weather, palm trees, the beach.



 - Passionfruit margaritas.

 - When the power goes out, my kids run outside to see how bright the stars look in the night sky. They've seen worlds underwater, swam in the Caribbean sea and a volcanic lake.

 - We haven't been to a mall in months.

 - Everything is new, like a child exploring for the first time, eyes wide open. Some things are scary some amazing!

 - The people. Yes, there have been some that try to take advantage but by far the majority of people that I've met have had a generous and kind spirit. I've had my neighbour bring me food and even a big bunch of bananas from the tree. So many, I couldn't eat them all! I love watching kids get inventive, playing baseball with a stick and an almond (that takes skill) or making music with nothing but their hands and feet.They are having a lot of fun and they are doing it without taking selfies that look like product placement ads.

 - Life here is about living. If you have the chance to step outside the commercialized world, for a holiday, to work abroad, or to start over I encourage you to do it! The bugs are bigger but I've lived outside of town in Saskatchewan and there are some big and biting things there too. Don't believe the hype.

- We have some cool shops run by people that have put their heart into their business. Nicaraguan made surf bikinis, you will need a sturdy bikini that is made to handle the waves, I learned this when I skinned my knees on the sand trying to stay low and get my suit back on after being tossed by a wave!

- Family run restaurants with fresh cooked food where people talk to each other...without the use of a cell phone. Kanye probably hasn't eaten here but I promise the food's still good.

- This place has a way of opening our eyes to what's real and what's real is beautiful!

Exploring volcanic rocks at low tide

3 comments:

  1. I love you for opening my eyes and heart to the possibilities of a simpler more satisifing life...don't stop blogging it is not only inspiring but I look forward to every new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you for opening my eyes and heart to the possibilities of a simpler more satisifing life...don't stop blogging it is not only inspiring but I look forward to every new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Just trying to tell my story, it feels good to be free of the excess :)

      Delete